Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Veggie Pie recipe

Now that everything is quieting down for the night, I am able to have cohesive thought. You know what came to mind? "I haven't written anything for Food In The World of YES! For 2 days! I'd better do something." So here it comes...

I have been reading like crazy and coming across some strange things. Just how strange is for another time perhaps but one thing that is fairly common is how much food allergies can affect every part of life. I thought I might be jumping to conclusions when I was saying that DD2's allergies were affecting how she acted and her emotional control. To be clear: she is always responsible for her choices and decisions. I do think her allergies affect how she feels and that always makes it harder to be nice. We all feel that at times in our lives; I just think she is dealing with it every day and that must be unbelievably exhausting! (Oops, got off on a tangent.)

As I intended to be saying, due to the reading I have been doing, I am beginning to think we are on the right track by working towards a basically vegetarian diet. We are pointed that way, whether we like it or not, so we will embrace this and work with it. So, I thought I would share the dinner I made a few nights ago that was another hit. I called it Veggie Pie. Anything pie is likely to be more positive for a kid, right?

Veggie Pie - makes 1 8" or 9" pie


Crust - this is a basic pie crust that can be used for a savory dish, like here, or a sweet dish, like cherry pie
2 C flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 C shortening

5 - 7 T ice cold water (That it be ice cold is very important when working in humidity, heat, or with granite counters.)
Bottom crust before filling.

Mix the flour and salt together. Cut in the shortening until it is blended well. Add a few tablespoons of the cold water and mix well. Add enough of the water to get the dough to ball up well and not be dry but don't make it sticky. Separate into 2 halves for a regular pie pan or 2/3, 1/3 for a deep dish pie pan. Roll out the bottom crust and put it in the pan. Add the filling. Roll out the second crust and cover the pie or cut out pieces to place on the top. Bake at 425 degrees for about 25 minutes or until the crust is a golden brown.
DD#3 helping roll out the top crust for the shapes.

Filling:
2 T margarine
2 - 5 T flour
1 C almond milk
salt, pepper, and garlic powder - to taste
sliced up veggies to fill your pie pan : Use whatever you have and in whatever amounts you have it. This is what I had on hand and was able to slice up. All of the veggies were sliced thin and sauteed in a skillet with about 2 T oil until they were cooked but still had a crunch.
  • 1 onion
  • 1 yellow summer squash
  • 3 carrots
  • 5 or so mushrooms
  • 1/2 green bell pepper
  • 1/2 C frozen corn
  • 1/2 C frozen peas
In a separate pan, I made a rue. I melted 2 T of margarine (can't use butter since it is dairy). After it was melted, I added enough flour to get a dry mix (but not flaky). Cook that for a couple of minutes. You don't want it to burn so keep stirring. Then whisk in about 1 C of almond milk (regular milk would be fine but again it is dairy). Add a bit of salt, pepper, and garlic powder at this point. Let it get close to a boil but don't go too long without stirring. It will thicken a little. When it does, add it to the veggies. Mix well and then fill your pie pan. This is the point that you add your top crust and throw it in the oven to bake.


All the girls thought it was yummy and asked for seconds. One even asked for thirds. Wish they liked the food this much every night. I know, too much to ask for. I'll take it this night though. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment