Monday, August 1, 2011

Egg Substitutes

Did you ever get up and decide to work on a recipe only to read eggs in the list and know you didn't have any? Used to be that I would put that recipe aside. Now, I know better. Since DD number 2 has been diagnosed with an egg allergy, I have found out that there are actually a huge number of possible substitutes.

These Snickerdoodles were made with arrowroot flour.
I have used several of them. In fact, the cookies in the oven right now used the arrowroot flour substitute. You will do better if you have an idea of the taste of what you are making is like - mainly sweet or savory. I am going to be making cupcakes tomorrow using an egg substitute. I will let you know how that turns out.

For now, here is the list that I have compiled of possible substitutes for eggs.


Use one of the following bullets  for each egg, up to 3 eggs, paying attention to the type of dish you are making and the flavors that will compliment it.
  • 1 tsp baking powder + 1 T liquid + 1 T vinegar
  • 1 tsp yeast dissolved in ¼ C warm water
  • 1 ½ T water + 1 ½ T oil + 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 pkg gelatin + 2 T warm water; mix just prior to use
  • 2 T arrowroot flour
  • 2 T applesauce + ¼ tsp baking powder
  • ½ banana (medium, mashed) + ¼ tsp baking powder
  • 1 T vinegar + 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 T lemon juice + 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 T cornstarch + 3 T water
These have worked really well for me. I hope they work just as well for you. Happy baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment