Saturday, August 13, 2011

Not Your Normal Bean Dip

For dinner the other evening, I cut up some fresh veggies. The girls normally balk at just plain old veggies so I thought I would whip out some kind of a dip. What came to mind is hummus. Now, I don't know if I can technically call this hummus or not since it is not made of chickpeas so bean dip it is.

I just mentally ran through what I had around, including the freezer, and in the freezer I had great northern beans. When I cook beans, I take the whole bag of dried beans and cook them all at once. Then I freeze whatever I didn't use in 2 cup portions, which is about the same amount as 1 can of beans from the store. So, white beans it was.

I pulled them out and threw them in the microwave to thaw, along with a bunch of red bell peppers that I had already cut up. After they were thawed, I dumped them in the blender with some sunflower butter (again, what I had), lemon juice, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. I pureed it all up and served it.

Once again, the girls wouldn't eat it even though 2 of them said it was good. I don't know. I will just keep trying, I guess. The next "try" will be to see if hummus freezes and thaws since I can't eat all of this by myself and I don't think my husband will help.

Oh, here's the actual recipe!

Not Your Normal Bean Dip -
  • 2 cups OR 1 15oz can any kind of white bean
  • 1/2 sliced red bell pepper
  • 1/2 lemon, juice only OR about 2 T lemon juice
  • 2 T sunflower butter (you could probably do peanut butter or tahini instead, but have not tried that)
  • 1 - 2 tsp cumin, to taste
  • 1 - 2 tsp paprika, to taste
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper


Blend it all up and use as a dip or spread. Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment