Once again, I really liked these veggies. They had a sweet and creamy flavor, without being too sweet. I think I have to figure out how to hide the green and red bell peppers. I am guessing that is why two of the three girls wouldn't eat these. I enjoyed it and will have plenty of leftovers for a couple of meals for myself.
The recipe is what I think of as easy. I hope you do, too. Here it is...
VEGETABLES AND GRITS
- Grits - prepare as instructed on package
- 2 T total canola oil and/or margarine
- 1 onion - diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper - diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper - diced
- 1 carrot - cut into thin disks
- 1/2 C frozen peas
- any other veggies you want to include
- 2 T flour
- rice milk - about 2 C, more or less to consistency desired
- garlic powder
- In a large saucepan on the stove top, add the oil and/or margarine. Put in the onion and bell peppers. Cook for a few minutes and then add the carrots. Cook for 5 or 6 minutes, until the carrots are tender enough to stab with a knife or fork but not so tender they mash. Add the peas and any other veggies that need to go in. Cook for another minute.
- Add the flour. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly to help avoid lumps. Continue adding the rice milk until the consistency you want is achieved.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and parsley to taste.
- Serve with grits. You could also substitute a rice or a pasta for the grits.