Thursday, August 25, 2011

Vegetables and Grits

The grits were a hit! Yea! The veggies were not. Boo! I can't seem to hit a home run very often but I will keep trying.

Once again, I really liked these veggies. They had a sweet and creamy flavor, without being too sweet. I think I have to figure out how to hide the green and red bell peppers. I am guessing that is why two of the three girls wouldn't eat these. I enjoyed it and will have plenty of leftovers for a couple of meals for myself.

The recipe is what I think of as easy. I hope you do, too. Here it is...

VEGETABLES AND GRITS
  • Grits - prepare as instructed on package
  • 2 T total canola oil and/or margarine
  • 1 onion - diced
  • 1/2 green bell pepper - diced
  • 1/2 red bell pepper - diced
  • 1 carrot - cut into thin disks
  • 1/2 C frozen peas
  • any other veggies you want to include
  • 2 T flour
  • rice milk - about 2 C, more or less to consistency desired
  • salt
  • pepper
  • garlic powder
  • paprika
  • parsley
  1. In a large saucepan on the stove top, add the oil and/or margarine. Put in the onion and bell peppers. Cook for a few minutes and then add the carrots. Cook for 5 or 6 minutes, until the carrots are tender enough to stab with a knife or fork but not so tender they mash. Add the peas and any other veggies that need to go in. Cook for another minute.
  2. Add the flour. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly to help avoid lumps. Continue adding the rice milk until the consistency you want is achieved.
  3. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and parsley to taste.
  4. Serve with grits. You could also substitute a rice or a pasta for the grits.
The menu for this meal was grits and veggies, baby oranges (mandarin oranges), and broccoli.
    I hope you try grits. They are so much better than the reputation they get from so many of the old books. I really enjoy them and with the veggies they make a great main dish.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment